Rotary Building Renovation for Indiana University
Some of the key design opportunities for this project were:
- Re-establish the original 2nd floor balcony terrace overlooking the therapeutic gardens.
- Replace existing windows and create a more efficient building envelope.
- Increase amount of natural light into the building.
- Incorporate grand communicating stairway.
- Open top floor ceilings to create dramatic voluminous space.
- Integrate high-performance building systems within the existing building shell.
- Achieve LEED Silver certification.
|Monumental stair at 1st floor|
- Sustainable Site: 16 out of 26 possible points
- Water Efficiency: 4 out of 10 possible points
- Energy & Atmosphere: 18 out of 35 possible points
- Materials & Resources: 4 out of 14 possible points
- Indoor Environmental Quality: 9 out of 15 possible points
- Innovation & Design Process: 3 out of 6 possible points
- Regional Priority Credits: 3 out of 4 possible points
The renovations to this existing facility have provided IU with a great office space that meets their programming needs and sustainable design goals. The urban location contributes several points to the project. The renovations included energy efficient mechanical systems, upgraded electrical power, lighting and data.
This project's new use allows it to maintain its presence as a jewel on the IUPUI campus. For more information on the project visit:
More project photos:
|Conference Room entrance|
|Private conference area on 3rd Floor|
|Terrace overlooking therapeutic garden|